27 Oct A little seed planted yields a plentiful crop
A story of a candy store that flourished by the hands of teenage girls – Girls on the March.
The Girls on the March is a group of 15 teenagers that have committed their lives to Christ and are active members involved in serving with our partners (Seeds of Affection Foundation) in the Community of Puerto Caldas, Colombia.
These girls live in conditions of extreme poverty which has impacted how they see themselves, their self esteem, and the perception of a decent future for them and their families. The ages of these girls range from 13 to 18 years old, some of them are single moms others have the responsibilities of caring and providing for their siblings and families. Some came from displaced families and/or have very dysfunctional and awful environments in which they live, such as drugs and prostitution.
This past July, after the visit from the Revealing Hope Mission Team to Puerto Caldas, the oldest girls of the group wanted to start a small business selling homemade chocolate candy and desserts at the local market place. Revealing Hope Ministries funded this as part of a small business development program to encourage the girls and help them learn a skill that will equip them for the future, at the same time supplying them with a small income for their personal needs.
The Candy stand was a success, it lasted for the 20 days the market was open. This experience started as a small idea, which in turn has become a great tool to teach these amazing and gifted girls great lessons about our creator and his stewardship principles.
- God can multiply our resources if we are willing to use what we have available regardless of the size. 2 Kings 4: 1-7
- Our God is a creative God who has designed us with different gifts and abilities that are precious and valuable in his sight.
- The experience has transformed the perception about themselves and the abilities they received from God, and how they can utilize them to impact their group, families and community.Within the group they learned the value of teamwork. Ecclesiastes 4:9
- Personal responsibility – having a schedule, being on time and how to handle the resources entrusted to them. Matthew 25: 14-30
- How to present their products and ideas to different people with joy and admiration for the job of their hands. Col 3:23
- Share God’s word through a little message card included in the candy with bible verses.
- They learned a skill that brings dignity, rather than dishonored activities common to the region that ultimately destroys lives and self-worth. I Thessalonians 4: 11-12
This is a learning process for them, so they need your prayers for wisdom to transform this new business venture in to a reality that can continually grow. These girls have dreams but some don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, only God can transform their lives. Would you consider being instruments in the hands of Gods to sponsor educational programs, training skills and scholarships for these teenage girls and help bring them to the next level of transform in their lives and communities for the Glory of God.
May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us – yes, establish the work of our hands.
If you have experience in micro financing, asset based community development or small business development in the majority world please share your ideas with us.